A few years ago, it would have been laughable to assume that one day Lionel Messi would leave Barcelona, let alone on a free transfer. Unfortunately, that became reality in 2021 when the club’s horrid financial condition did not allow for his renewal.
The truth is, however, that Messi was close to leaving Barça in 2020 as well. The Argentine revealed the same in an interview in October that year, claiming that he was being ‘kept like a prisoner’ by Josep Bartomeu and his administration.
Prior to that interview, though, Messi had apparently tabled his demands to renew his contract in 2020, as has been revealed by El Mundo. He had a whopping demands to renew his contract and stay.
1. Three-year extension: Still only 33 at the time, a three-year contract was a realistic demand from Messi. He was still the best player in the world, and had shown no signs of slowing down.
2. Private box for own and Suarez’s family: This is where things start to get interesting and personal. Messi demanded a private box at the Camp You for his own family, and that of Luis Suarez for game days.
3. €10 million renewal bonus: A €10 million (or more) renewal bonus was unheard of before Kylian Mbappe renewed his contract with PSG earlier this year. However, it seems Messi had demanded that before the Frenchman, back in 2020.
It is important to note that Barcelona had refused this demand, for they did not have the funds to move ahead with it.
4. Elimination of release clause: All teams in Spain follow the release clause system, that allows other clubs to trigger a clause in the player’s contract to move ahead with direct negotiations.
Messi’s release clause in 2020 was reportedly €700 million. He wanted it removed, even though a symbolic clause of €10,000 would remain. Barcelona refused to sign off on this, either.
5. Repayment of wage cuts: Messi, and other members of the team took a pay-cut in 2020 to help the club during COVID-19. The captain, however, wanted Barcelona to pay…
Source link : https://barcauniversal.com/lionel-messis-nine-shocking-requests-to-renew-his-barcelona-contract-in-2020/
Author : Udhav Arora
Publish date : 2022-09-20 21:35:48
Copyright for syndicated content belongs to the linked Source.